N.B. We’d love current non-members of the Windlesham Society to join us on the day but, for insurance purposes, this will require membership – household membership is just £5 pa online
Date: Saturday 9/3/24; Meet Time: 1.45 for 2pm; Meet Place: Field of Remembrance Car Park;
- Background. Windlesham and its approaches in particular are strewn with litter. It is unsightly and spoils our lovely village. The Borough has no statutory obligation to deal with it so, if we want to be proud of the environment in which we all live, we need to do something about it.
- Equipment. Please come with your own high visibility jackets, rubber gloves and picks if you own them. If not, there will be some available to borrow. Strong collection bags will be provided. It is suggested that you wear robust clothing and footwear.
- Insurance. There is a level of danger in this work. Windlesham Society has approved public liability cover for members only. Young people may participate from 16 years of age upwards.
- On arrival. Following a short safety briefing, allocation of equipment to those requiring it, pairing people up (if you arrive solo and don’t know anyone else) and divvying up of roads or parts of roads, individuals will walk or drive if any significant distance to their starting place (please therefore come by car if you can) and commence litter picking. Please plan on a minimum of one hour.
- During litter picking. The idea of working in pairs is for your safety with one leading on picking and bag carrying and the other on look-out for traffic, especially on busier roads without pavements. If your bag becomes uncomfortably heavy and/or you end up carrying more bags than one, please leave it/them in a prominent spot on the roadside either to pick up yourself or inform the organiser on return so it can be picked up later.
- On completion. Please return to the Field of Remembrance car park with as much of the litter you have collected as possible. It will be sorted and disposed of by the organisers. If you are happy to participate in a team photo for subsequent publicity purposes and care to continue conversations at the café, that would be great.